Suleymanıye District (Old Gumushane)
Süleymaniye (Ulu) Camii (Süleymaniye Mosque) was built in the 16th century, in accordance with royal orders given by Süleyman the Magnificent. The building was built according to a rectangular plan that conforms to the Seljuk tradition; the whole structure consists of three naves that extend in vertical fashion toward the prayer niche and are divided by three wooden masts. The minaret has a thick, cylindrical body. In terms of basic plan, Süleymaniye (Ulu) Camii bears similarities with Ankara Ayaş Ulu Camii, Bayburt Ulu Camii, Sünür Camii and Ayaş Bünyamin Veli Camii. The building has lost many of its originals features due to restoration work.
The mesjid standing in the backyard is called Küçük Camii (Küçük Mosque); this name was given in those times when Ulu Camii still retained its historical originality and magnificence.
Hagios Georgios Manastır Kilisesi (Hagios Georgios Monastery Church) stands on a hill on the right side of the road that leads from city center to Hutura village 6 kilometers away. It was built in the first half of the 14th century in the name of Alexius Comnenus. The church was restored in 1509 and 1624 by monks Monk Ananias and Georgios Stratilatis, respectively. There is also an epitaph that states that the church building was restored during the reign of Sultan Abdülhamid II (1876-1909) as well.
It was built in the form of the Greek cross, the building is covered with a dome. It rests on east-west plane, featuring support masts placed in front of the abscissa. Arms of the cross are covered with vaulted support beams. The main and side façades are divided into three sections with semi-columns and there are windows with semi-circular arches on these divisions. , The main entrance in the center of the west wall has columns and a covered top. The church is decorated with plant (grape, curved branches, palm tree), rope and dragon motifs. Monograms of Jesus and symbols of Hagios Georgios are carved above windows. The top cover of the church has collapsed in time.
Hamam Kalıntısı (The Hammam Remains) belongs to a private hammam that was built in the 15th century; it includes a private chamber. The top cover of the bath no longer exists and only the main walls with support belts and cornices stand. Kavaklık Hamamı (Kavaklık Hammam) is from the 15th century; it is comprised of 4 large halls and a cross-shaped hot chamber (halvet). This Turkish bath, made of rubble and brick, is no longer in use even though there is running water inside. It vas vaulted support beams that cover the tepidarium chamber have collapsed in time. As is the case in the halvet chamber, the room on one side of the tepidarium is covered with vaulted support beams that feature a decorated rim and that can be accessed through a triangular entry. In the lower walls and corner cells of large hall extensions covered with vaulted supports, there are niches with rounded arches, believed to have been built for decorative purposes.
Daltaban Çeşmesi is located southwest of Sadullah Efendi Camii; the fountain was made of küfeki stone (a kind of stone that hardens under pressure yet is easy to carve) that rises on an octagonal marble surface. It has four façades and three divisions. The edges of the lower division where the fountain taps are located consist of quadrangular sides, each of which is 1 cm in length. On each side, there is a tap placed among leaf motifs.
The middle section consists of four sides, each 70 centimeters long. On the eastern, northern and southern sides, there are marble epitaphs in the form of medallions. The uppermost division consists of a column of seven sides; this column rises from the center of the other two divisions. On the epitaph on the eastern façade, there is the name of the Ottoman Sultan Abdülaziz.